martes, 3 de marzo de 2015

The Best Invention Ever

It's not easy to test the weight of a suitcase in the bathroom scale and neither easy to trust ourselves in a rough calculation, just taking a look. We have doubts. Would it be too much?, should I remove something?, could I put away one more jean? Therefore, it's inevitable to get to the airport with a palpable tension, like if we know there is an exam we are not going to pass, because we are not sure about our suitcase's qualities.

We are going to check-in with accelerated pulse and to our horror the suitcase weighs 3 kilos more than it should. The heartless woman there says you can not get though like that and you need to throw something off... Do I have to leave something behind? But, what? I'm going abroad for 6 months, I need everything I'm taking with me!

Anyway, she doesn't care. So, you are forced to open your suitcase in from of everybody, showing everyone your selection of underwear, trying to find something that you, indeed, don't need that much (complicated).

And in this situations, we find different kind of scenarios:

Scenario A: somebody came with me, so he/she is gonna take the stuff I can not take with me.

Scenario B: I came alone to the airport, nobody can take my stuff. I have to pay the extra weight and we are talking about 10-20 euros per kilo (with luck) depending on the airline... That hurts!

Scenario C: again alone and not so much money available or a little bit more proud in the face of such injustice. I'm forced to throw away some of my belongings. It hurts too...

Scenario D: alone and with great dignity, you end up wearing layers and layers of clothes, onion's style, as long as you don't have to pay or leave anything behind. It seems like a ducking genius idea, but it's not gonna work. Layers have a limit and your discomfort too.

Scenario E: to me, this scenario is that total urban legend of “if the guy in the check-in is cool, he will let you go with extra weight, no problem”. Could somebody tell me, please, who is that “cool guy” and which airport he works in? Because, I can assure you I never met him.

But one day, all of my suffering ended. The day I discovered in a luggage shop, almost 3 years ago now, the object which would change my life for good. 



One of my most precious possession, a before and an after in the art of packing. Because he saved me so many times, because it makes me get to the airport calmer than ever, because it makes things easier to me, because “I'm nothing without you”. The pocket digital luggage scale, my best friend.

I'm sure many people already know it. In my case, I didn't before then, but it seemed to me like the perfect solution. You pack your suitcase, hook it and up. You have to keep it still in your hands for a moment You can know the weight with total precision and now we can breath and get to the airport with our heads held high.

For those people who, like me, travel a lot and always have to carry everything everywhere, I really recommend it. It's better to buy a good one, because it has to support a lot of weight and the idea is not to break it at the first attempt, which would happen with a low quality one. But I assure you, it's not so so expensive and, at least in my case, it has been a great investment.

Scenario : You can test my suitcase as much as you want, I'm going to pass the exam.

Although, no matter what happens, I can't help wondering: why is 23, such a so little round number, the weight limit for baggage?

Spanish Post

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario